In the beginning…
A conservation-nature study camp was established in July 1959.
First known as “Junior Nature Camp” it was operated by volunteer FFGC members for Junior Gardeners and other Garden Club-sponsored young people.
Special emphasis was placed on conservation, nature, ecology, crafts, swimming, boating and recreational sports.
After several years of sending Juniors to other camps, the Federation’s first independent camp was opened in 1966 at a leased facility at Lake Eaton Conservation Camp in the Ocala National Forest.
The Sears Foundation gave 12 camperships, one for each district.
Also, in 1959, a fund, “The Penny Jar for Little People”, was created for the building of a youth camp. As the fund grew, planning and legal work went forward aimed at bringing the dream of a youth camp to fruition.