Update on Wekiva Youth Camp and Coronavirus (COVID-19)
“Here’s to Camp Wekiva and all her crew, we are so loyal in our love for you, for you, for you, for you….”
Hello Wekiva Families!
As many of you have heard, Governor DeSantis issued a statement today that essentially ended restrictions on all youth activities across the state. Our parent organization, The Florida Federation of Garden Clubs has made the decision that we will not, however, be reversing the decision that was made on May 15 to cancel camp this summer for the following reasons:
- After making the decision to forgo camp this summer, our contract with Wekiwa Springs State Park was terminated. Subsequently, the park has contracted for renovations to be made in the kitchen area, which will make it unusable this summer.
- The state of Florida requires that all staff members at youth camps have current Level II background checks on file. In order to have all of these completed and be assured that results will be back to us on time to operate camp safely, we would have had to have begun that process by May 15 at the very latest. We simply will not risk the safety of any campers or operate outside the law, in order to rush this process.
- During the past week, after hearing that we would not be operating camp this summer, some of our counselors and volunteers have made other plans and secured other summer jobs.
- At this point, although Wekiwa Springs State Park is currently open to 50% of its capacity, the youth camp facility remains closed, with no plan for reopening any time in the foreseeable future.
- We have already processed refunds for all families that have already paid for this summer’s camp. If you paid by credit card, it should reflect a credit to your statement within a couple of weeks, if it hasn’t already. If you paid by check, you will receive a refund check soon.
We made the best decision we could with the information we had at the time and we maintain that Wekiva Youth Camp’s closure is in the best interest of the health and safety of our campers, staff, and volunteers.
Please understand that we share your love for Wekiva Youth Camp and wish our circumstances for this summer could be different!
Wekiva Love to all of our families!
Director, FFGC Wekiva Youth Camp