PLEASE READ THE INFORMATION BELOW BEFORE ACCESSING ON-LINE VOLUNTEER REGISTRATION (at the bottom of the list), by clicking here
Adult Volunteers – from Garden Clubs, Circles and Friends - include Educators, Registered Nurses, LPNs, Environmental Professionals and helping hands that assist in Crafts, Nature Study, Health Clinic, Office Work, Canteen, Check In/Check Out, and our special programs. Many (but not all) of these individuals attend Wekiva Leadership Training to learn more about Wekiva Youth Camp and how it operates. Adult Volunteers are coordinated and scheduled by the Wekiva Youth Camp Chairman and the Critter Camp Chairman.
In order to maintain a safe and secure camp and comply with state laws and procedures that have been filed with ACA to maintain our accreditation, it is no longer possible to just “show up” to volunteer at Wekiva Youth Camp. The process has been streamlined into FOUR STEPS to assist those coming to volunteer. These steps are:
- Complete the ON-LINE VOLUNTEER REGISTRATION (at the bottom of the list), accessed by clicking here.
- The appropriate Chairman (Wekiva Youth Camp Chairman or Critter Camp Chairman) will contact you regarding availability of volunteer opportunities during your preferred dates and duty assignment. (If you have not been contacted by April 15th, please contact the appropriate Chairman.)
- Complete the Fingerprinting (Background Check) Process during the months of April and May.
- After your Fingerprints have Cleared, the appropriate Chairman will contact you to confirm your volunteer dates. You will need to submit to the appropriate Chairman the following: a. Copy of Photo ID; b. Copy of Insurance Card; c. Medical Recommendations (signed by Health Care Professional).
The most frequently requested information by Adult Volunteers are the Adult Recommended Packing List the Wekiva Youth Camp Dress Code, and the Directions to Wekiva Youth Camp. In addition, there are 20 Documents for Adult Volunteers that you may find necessary and helpful during your time at Wekiva Youth Camp. These documents will not be distributed at camp so you might want to print them for your personal use. Volunteers may also want to check out the information in the NOT Just for Campers section which includes additional information including a Map of Wekiva Youth Camp (complete with cabin names).
Fingerprinting (Background Check) Information:
The Florida Legislature has made major changes regarding fingerprinting and background checks of volunteers and employees at summer camps. These changes went into effect in 2015 and are always subject to change and adjustment. It is now necessary for the Wekiva Youth Camp Chairman to register Volunteers with the AHCA Clearinghouse PRIOR to fingerprinting. And, a photograph is required to be attached electronically with the fingerprints. The good news is that fingerprints will now last longer than one summer in the system. What this means to you is that there are two procedures that will be followed, depending on whether or not your fingerprints are in the system.
VOLUNTEERS FROM 2015, ’16 or ’17: Contact the Wekiva Youth Camp Chairman to be certain that your fingerprints are found in the system and receive instructions on how to proceed.
NOTE: If you work in a profession with a Level II Background Screening currently on file, you do not have to have another screening. You may supply either a letter from your Employer documenting that you have a current Level II Background Screening in place within 90 days of when you plan to be at camp or a recent pay stub showing your Name and your Employer’s Name, with the salary information blacked out.
The cost for Livescan Vendors can vary widely. Wekiva Youth Camp will reimburse up to $80.00 for your Livescan upon completion of your Volunteering and presentation of your receipt. Many of our Volunteers and Staff donate the cost of their Live Scan. For that, we thank you. Fingerprints are sent electronically for screening, your receipt is proof of your Livescan being completed. The Wekiva Youth Camp Chairman is the one person designated to handle fingerprinting of volunteers regardless of whether you are a Critter Camp Volunteer or a general Wekiva Youth Camp Volunteer.
- The Wekiva Youth Camp Chairman will contact you to confirm that your fingerprints have cleared. DO NOT REPORT TO CAMP UNTIL YOU RECEIVE NOTIFICATION THAT YOUR FINGERPRINTS HAVE CLEARED. Please call or email the Wekiva Youth Camp Chairman if you have not received notification by June 1st. (It can take up to three weeks for processing.)
Thank you for your dedication!